HIPAA Workstation Controls (Physical)
Nowadays, Cybersecurity has become a major concern as the world has become digital. In New York, medical and healthcare business owners must abide by the regulations set forth by HIPAA to ascertain that the sensitive information is kept safe and confidential.
5 Reasons to Be Fully Compliant with HIPAA
Created in 1996, the main aim of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is to benefit the citizens of the country by protecting their health records and giving them control over their medical and personal information to take legal action in case of suspected anomalies. Being HIPAA Compliant ensures administrative procedures and policies are set in motion to increase the security and privacy of patient information.
To understand more, let us look at five reasons to be fully compliant with HIPAA.
- One of the main reasons to be fully compliant with HIPAA is so that you can provide exceptional security and protection to your patients’ private/personal data. Before the HIPAA came into existence, the privacy of personal and medical information depended entirely on the laws. Under the HIPAA though, all states have to meet certain standards. Being compliant with these standards shows your determination and support to strengthen the laws to protect privacy.
- Being HIPAA compliant will enable you to access a range of medical and health records and provide them to patients that require it. HIPAA allows insurance policy holders to gain access to their medical records. Copies can be made and requests for amendments can be allowed, following a proper procedure and process.
- HIPAA Compliance ensures all people entering your healthcare organization are aware of their rights under the act. Patients will be briefed about all the right they are entitled to and you can even provide HIPAA training to employees to help them stay abreast of the latest announcements and developments.
- Being HIPAA Compliant will give you the ability to file complaints against crimes related to a patients’ personal information or alleged misuse of information. If a person suspects violation of privacy or misuse of information, healthcare organizations can follow HIPAA provisions to help file complaints and take action against the alleged party.
- Last, but not the least, by being HIPAA compliant you can avoid punishment for non-compliance. Unlike voluntary quality management systems, HIPAA is mandatory for all those working in healthcare organizations or have a job relating to it.
Technical Safeguards: The necessary knowledge
HIPAA’s guidelines categorize these safeguards under three headings:
- Administrative Safeguards,
- Physical Safeguards,
- Technical Safeguards.
Any medical information recorded, processed, and saved in technology-based devices is safeguarded via Technical safeguards.
The HIPAA set forth the rules and guidelines to safeguard the medical information of a client. It keeps it safe and secure.
Patient data should be encrypted using the IT; only specific authorized persons should be given access to that data.
The activity log should be used to track the details about the data access. Every time the access should be recorded enclosing the details about the person accessing and the time of access. The track should be made to check that only authorized persons have accessed it.
Every time an authorized user accesses some client’s data, (s) he should be automatically logged off from the system, after being inactive for a while. This way, the medical information of clients remains protected.
EPHI is Electronically Protected Healthcare Information. This could be used by legal agencies or, for instance, an authorized insurance company. Therefore, this information should be immediately available in such cases.
Related Article HIPAA Compliance and Security: Summary of the HIPAA Security Rule
Safety of Information
The compliance with HIPAA guidelines is mandatory, therefore critical for your medical-healthcare business. Solution Engine IT Solutions can assist with helping your medical to be compliant with regulatory bodies in New York. We assure you safety, and adequate services in terms of your IT needs. Let’s connect.